Thursday, October 4, 2012

Beauty Routines After 50

Many have written to ask for tips on makeup and hairstyles that respect our changing faces. I am sharing my step by step routine with you here.



Permanent makeup, fillers, and plastic surgery are not options I am considering. I don't mind the character and expression lines that my face has developed over the years. I firmly believe that healthy eating, lots of water, and regular exercise are the best beauty routines one can follow.

After fifty, some things became easier, and for me, a hairstyle definitely falls into that category. After my fiftieth birthday, I stopped coloring my hair and found a great stylist who gives me a softly layered angled bob cut that frames and slims my roundish face. Ask your stylist for a cut that works with your hair's natural tendency and one that complements the shape of your face. 

A good stylist will also consider if your style is complementary to your body's size and shape. For example, a petite woman peering out from a huge bush of long hair is not balanced with her proportions.




In the photo above, I have just returned from my stylist.

I don't use anything but a gentle sulfate-free shampoo three times a week for styling products. I sometimes rinse my hair in the shower and then reshape it for the day, but skip the products entirely on most days. 

My thinning hair and dry scalp do not respond well to most products. A build-up of styling products adds weight, making my hair flat. It also gets trimmed about every five or six weeks. I don't allow my hair to get too long or get it cut too short. Both extremes add years to my face.

Warm water and a gentle skin cleanser remove makeup in the evening. I splash some warm water on my face to rinse it and then pat dry. I find that eye creams add puffiness and nighttime moisturizers cause me to break out, so I skip those. One of my all-time favorite moisturizers for my whole body is Coconut Oil.

My makeup routine has also been streamlined. In winter, I use a heavier moisturizer, but in summer, I use only a tinted moisturizer or very light foundation appropriate for my skin's texture. I apply the foundation mostly in my T-zone. (The T-Zone is the center of your face from your forehead down to your chin, where most of us were a bit oily when our hormones were plentiful.) 

Use a small makeup sponge or brush to blend gently away from your nose and skip the area around your mouth to not emphasize lines. This technique of starting your makeup in the center of your face and blending away helps avoid the dreaded demarcation line where your makeup stops and your neck begins.


I use makeup brushes rather than sponge applicators. They allow for better blending and less tugging on the skin. I use a liquid eyeliner applied into and under my upper eyelashes (on the waterline). I don't apply liner or mascara to my lower lashes because this looks very harsh on me. My eyeshadow is always the same in varying degrees of depth of color for the day versus evening. The palate includes soft beige, a very pale shell pink, gray, and grays that complement my cool skin tone. I start with the darkest color in my lash line and just above it. In the crease of my eye and just above it, I blend a medium gray. I blend the lighter colors up to my brow and then blend. 

I add a smoky gray color at the outside corner of my eye for more definition and drama. I use a taupe or gray eyebrow pencil to fill in my thin brows, but I'm careful to blend and brush that out as well. I use brown/black mascara, and that's it for eyes.


I brush on a bit of blush in a rose-tone high on the cheekbones, the bridge of my nose, and under my chin. If your skin is very dry, cream blush might be best for you. Once again, blend, blend, blend! Note: Do not smile and put blush on the apple of your cheek as we were taught when we were younger. When you stop smiling, the blush will be lower than you want and not have the effect you want at all.

I apply a lip liner over my whole lip and then a very similar color of lipstick. After blotting, I'm finished with my daytime makeup routine. During the evening, I may wear brighter lip color, but I apply and blot it several times while applying my makeup to stains my lips rather than sliding around on top. I will use a similar color lip balm to touch up during the evening.

I almost always wear sunglasses when I'm outdoors, and if I am in the sun for more than a few minutes, I also wear a hat and sunscreen. Skin cancer is no fun, and I hope to never have it again.

27 comments:

Rosebeme said...

Excellent

april grinaway said...

Enjoyed your posting~

Anonymous said...

Susan: I like the softened less is more tips for makeup use! I have switched to Bare Minerals makeup because it doesn't seem to clog my fine lines and it is light to the touch! I still color my hair though, not sure whether I could give that up yet! Baby steps!

Anonymous said...

Susan I do not have an URL to use for comments. Not a blogger, found you through Facebook! From now on I will be known as Anonymous, but will list my name in the comment post! Thanks! Lisa Durst!

Susan said...

Thank you for your comments everyone. I'm happy to know you enjoyed this post.

Anonymous said...

It absolutely is working for you! You look lovely!

Margaret said...

Your routine certainly works well for you! You have amazingly youthful skin.

My routine is a lot more intense (and expensive). I've had skin cancer too, so make sure I wear a sunscreen at all times, going up to an SPF 60 when I know I'm going to be in the sun for any length of time. This year I've also added a hat.

I also see a dermatologist annually for a check of my skin to make sure nothing else is starting up.

As for my skin care routine, mine is on the dry side. I chose the Dior line because it seems to do the best job of anything I've ever tried. I use a foaming cleanser, toner, serum, a hydrating day cream and a heavy duty night cream. $Caching!$

Sun protection and moisturizing isn't just about looks for me.... it's about avoiding any more surgery. The "plus" is that I seem to look about 10 years younger than my actual age... LOTS of benefits!

Thanks for this post!

M

Anonymous said...

You have lovely skin and beautiful teeth!Sheila

Anonymous said...

Susan:
What do you use under your lower lashes. You mentioned that you don't use eyeliner or pencil. But it does look as though you use something....I don't like using eyeliner or pencil either. Thanks

Susan said...

I use a dusting of light brown eye shadow under the lash line on the bottom and then blend most of it away.

Geraldine said...

All good advice.

I recently started facial toning exercises:

Happy Face Yoga

if you click through to my blog, I've reviewed this program there, it's great!

Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

I love your page, your comments and now, all your beauty tips. I am 71 and I work hard at trying to 'not quite' look my age. lol.
Going to the gym 5 days a week and trying to eat right are my best tools.
Thanks for all you do!


LNA said...

Wonderful! Thank you... I have just discovered your blog and enjoy it so much. I've turned 65 but am determined not to get an old attitude and your blog gives me the ideas I needed!

LNA said...

Lovely! Thank you...at 65 your blog was just the boost I needed as I try to put life into my wardrobe and attitude!

Sandra said...

Could I ask what liquid eyeliner you use please?

Susan said...

Sandra, I use Almay Liquid Eyeliner available at Walgreens or Target.

Ann said...

Susan, your makeup looks perfect. Your blog is very helpful to us more mature ladies! Not everything is for the young!! Have you seen Look Fabulous Forever blog and makeup. It is so you. Their makeup videos are excellent.i have learnt so much from them and you. Ann

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing your site every week. At 61 and divorced after 30 years together, it is time for me to reboot. Twenty year old models were just not inspiring me. Love your style and attitude.

Unknown said...

Enjoy you blog. Do you still use the same products? I can't find the right eye shadow, yours looks so great. Also what lip product do you use. Thanks

Susan said...

I still use the same Merle Norman eye shadows blended well. Lip gloss over a darker blotted lipstick works for most of the day. Blending is the secret.

cschnuelle said...

I am 53 and would love to discontinue coloring my hair. How did you get through the in-between times when your hair was growing out?

Susan said...

Hi cschnuelle, I kept it rather short during that time and used a temporary color only until it finally grew out.

51andgoodwithit said...

Do you get pedicures and manicures? Your feet always look so nice.
Also, how much time per month do you spend shopping? I love your look.

Susan said...

I do get pedicures and manicures about once a month. I do most of my shopping online. It is no longer a priority because I have lots of nice basic pieces I can use in many different combos.

Unknown said...

Obsessed with this! So cool! and really i got a lot of informations from this post and also i hope you one day talking about Argan Oil for anti-aging cause it's so rich vitamin E

51andgoodwithit said...

Thank you Susan for the helpful makeup video. You have enhanced and simplified my routine. Thanks for all your great tips. Your wisdom, warmth and kind heart always come through.

Unknown said...

Just found you! Love your look and positive attitude. I am turning 59 next month and was feeling a bit down but this has really been a great boost. You look fresh, fabulous, and fun loving!