Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Glass Onion

Mr. Mickey and I often turn dinner reservations in a nearby town into a day trip full of other activities. Saturday was one of those days.



I dressed for a warm day in the city, followed by dinner at a restaurant we haven't visited before.



We spent part of the afternoon in Asheville sipping a beverage at a sidewalk cafe, watching the local characters. This is one of our favorite street performers. He plays, sings, and dances all at the same time.




Sister Bad Habit is always a fun one to see zipping about.


These performers made their own instruments to create their haunting melodies. We bought one of their CDs they were so good!




We shopped in the Grove Arcade, which has an amazing entrance. Gargoyles are a recurring theme throughout Asheville.



The flowers on many of the streets were amazing!



This is an apartment building across the street from The Grove Arcade.




As twilight approached, it was time to take Asheville's short drive back to Weaverville for our dinner reservations at the Glass Onion.



We tried several different items from the menu, and each was a great delight to the eyes and the palate. 


We shared a delightful dessert of a profiterole filled with lemon cream and topped with blueberry reduction. It was so excellent!



The husband and wife (this is Natalie with me) owners have always been head chefs at fine restaurants in New York until they decided to take the plunge and open their own restaurant here in the western North Carolina mountains. We are so fortunate that they did!

We loved the casual elegance, wonderful food, attentive service (but not too much), and visiting with the other diners around our table. It was a lovely and entertaining evening centered around exceptional food. We look forward to returning very soon to try some of the other entrees.



The white ankle pants are by Jones of New York. The tank, cardigan sweater, and necklace are from Chico's. The bag is from Stein Mart. The sandals are by Bjorndal from Rack Room Shoes.

13 comments:

Donna said...

Your day sounds marvellous! That is such a pretty shade of blue on you.

Unknown said...

Great pictures, looks like you had a wonderful time. I love Asheville.

Diane said...

You do look really great in white with that colorful sweater. I dressed somewhat the same with a coral colored sweater the other evening and was told several times how good I looked. Now I wonder do I have to put away my white jeans after the end of the August?

Kristien62 said...

I love sweaters like yours that are open and airy. There is something inherently "dressy" about them.

We often spend our winter months in NC and, although Asheville is a drive from Sunset Beach, I plan on visiting at some point in February. It looks like a wonderful place to visit.

Maggie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Ashville and LOVE your outfit. Have you been to The Wicked Weed? It's our new favorite place.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Loved the tour, Susan! This blue is your color...it is gorgeous on you!

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

A perfectly wonderful day, I think! The dessert alone makes me want to try that restaurant. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

Kicking and Screaming 55+ Petite Style said...

That shade of blue was made for you. Very pretty.

auroeta art gallery said...

Living in Germany it´s allways so interesting for me to see all your wonderful pictures. Thank you for this opportunity :)
Very tastefully chosen outfit. Like your cut bag :)

Dana, Germanyhttp://danalovesfashionandmusic.blogspot.de

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Susan, I am meeting you for the first time today, and just have to say it - you are a beautiful lady! I have to agree with Pam that this periwinkle blue is amazing on you. Your day with Hubby in one of my most favorite places, sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing your date day with us. Will be visiting with you again.

meriusa said...

Thank you for guiding us through Asheville.
You have transferred to us the town atmosphere with the street performers, musicians, flowers etc.
You look, as always, great in white and blue.

meriusa said...

Thank you for guiding us through Asheville.
You have transferred to us the town atmosphere with the street performers, musicians, flowers etc.
You look, as always, great in white and blue.

Becky said...

I am so happy I found your blog! I'm in the over 50 crowd, and I don't want to be frumpy, so your title is what drew me in. I absolutely loved your varied pictures of the cityscapes. You are a lovely lady through and through, and I will be back to visit often! Thank you for being there to represent!