Monday, June 6, 2016

Packing For A Summer Trip

When we travel, I take a few items that work together instead of pack outfits that may or may not be successful when we arrive at our destination. A few great accessories always help to create unique combinations.


For several days, we will be traveling to attend a unique wedding. There will be lots of walking, sightseeing, shopping, exploring old downtown, and eating out. All of these events will be very casual.

One of my personal packing rules is always trying on everything I am taking to make sure it looks the way I think it will look. There is nothing worse than getting ready for that special event only to find that the shoes you brought to go with your pants are too low to bring the hem off the floor. Today I am sharing the looks I plan to create from the items shown above on the rolling rack.

Below, I am wearing the tunic with jeans and sandals, all from J.Jill. The satchel is from JMcLaughlin. The crinkle cotton tunic is so lightweight I could wear it even on a sweltering day.

My apologies for the odd colors in these photos. The camera takes on an agenda of its own when we have to shoot inside and use the flash.

The gala sand-washed tunic will work with all of the pants.



The white long sleeve tee is very lightweight, so I can wear it with the vest and the white jeans when we go out to dinner.



The pieces shown above can be worn in many combinations according to the weather and where we are going. I am just showing you a few of the ways I plan to wear them.

My look for the wedding will include the swing blouse by IC Collection over a tank by Clara Sunwoo and white pants by Lior Paris. All these items were a gift from ShopMyFairLady.com. The silver clutch is old from T.J.Maxx. The silver sandals are old by BCBGeneration.



The life-changing Ultimate Back Smoothing Bra & Body Shaper is by Shapeez.com. I will be buying the black one and will be wearing these for the rest of my life. This is the first bra/shaper item I have ever worn that is so comfortable you forget you have it on, and it actually smooths your midsection and back without being hot. Epic!

Here is a video also!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always try and pack so all my tops match all my bottoms - especially when only going away for a long weekend or a few days for work. This worked well for me last week when travelling for work. We were hosting a big training. I was sitting in the first session when the lid from my coffee came off and spilled coffee all down the front of my favorite tunic. Luckily I had a wrap I could throw over myself until I made it back to my room to change. Because everything I packed went together it made for an easy, quick change of tops.

Nancy said...

Yay! A video :)

I will definitely have to check out that shape wear. Thanks for the info.

lrlincks said...

You have on shorts!! You look fabulous in them!! I know that is out of your comfort zone. Don't you just love the J JILL Wearever line?? So comfortable and great for travel. I love taking a capsule wardrobe for travel. Makes everything so easy and takes up much less suitcase room! Have a fun and safe trip. : )

Susan B said...

All of your combos look fabulous. Have a wonderful time!

Joanne said...

i love your wedding outfit. You have given me an idea on how to look chic when not in a dress for weddings or a semi formal evening.
You look summery and relaxed in your runners and flat sandels ( so pretty). And, I love that straw hat and purse.

Joanne B. said...

Girl did I need this post today! I am planning a long weekend visit with my daughter in New York City next week and I am the first to admit I am not a good traveler. Almost to the point of avoiding going anywhere altogether, but I have not seen my daughter in over 8 months and we both need this time together. Your tips on planning your outfits and how to mix and match are wonderful. I think I knew all that already, but seeing them again and watching your video helped me to relax and start to plan now. I was actually falling off to sleep every night thinking about what I would wear and the next night do the same all over again, coming up with nothing and feeling overwhelmed. I usually overpack because I don't want to think about what I am going to wear beforehand and I want to have everything with me just in case. Your plan to try everything on before hand is so smart that I actually feel stupid for not thinking that way in the first place! Thanks for making plain sense of something that really isn't or shouldn't be that complicated! You are one class act- thanks for sharing yourself with us!

Over Fifty in Hollywood said...

Awww, I'm going to miss your new updates every morning for inspiration, so thank you for the extra pictures. I love the last outfit, so effortless and gracious. Enjoy your time...

dmp said...

Hi Susan, Where did you purchase the taupe colored tank in your first photo? Thanks!

Susan said...

The tank is old from Chico's.

Sheryl's Southern Seasons said...

Susan~ This was a great post full of wonderful info and tips! I do have one question...do you wear a minimizer in the shape wear or do you wear the foam cup? I like the idea of a reduced bust size, but I also love the idea of the smooth coverage that prevents the "nips" from showing, LOL! Enjoy your trip!

Susan said...

I have both styles Sheryl's Southern Seasons. The one I am showing you here is the foam cup. This style feels more comfortable to me.

KC said...

Great ideas, Susan! I am attending an evening wedding in a few weeks. Planning to wear black straight leg pants that have a sheer skirt-like overlay and a white/black trim lace peplum blouse.