Sunday, July 10, 2016

All Is Well

Severe storms passed through our region on Friday evening. Countless trees were torn apart or completely uprooted by high winds taking power sources with them, which means many thousands of people are still without power on Sunday morning.

For all those who wrote to ask, we are safe and well. We sustained very little damage in our neighborhood.



We had reservations for dinner on Saturday night, so we decided to keep our plans. We anticipated that it might take a lot longer to reach our destination because of all the roads' debris.

Teams were out in force before the break of dawn to start clearing the damage and trying to restore power as quickly as possible.



We were more than ready to have a day away from the stress of life after this somber and frightening week. As we drove through the mountains on our way to Blowing Rock, North Carolina, I could feel the release of tension.


Something calming about looking out over endless green mountain ranges fills me with a sense of peace and gratitude.



We forgot to take the camera with us when we parked the car earlier in the day, so we had to take a few minutes before dinner to snap some photos for you. We always try to shoot looks at the beginning of our day before I become too rumpled looking. Today you see me after a day of shopping, visiting with friends, sitting in the park watching people, and riding around in a convertible.




There are many things I like about owning a capsule wardrobe of basics. Most of all, I appreciate that when I don't have the energy to come up with a special look, I can just put on something and go without giving it too much thought.




It is always a lot cooler in the mountains, so I have learned to wear layers whenever we go that way. Today I wore a jacket by IC Collection via ShopMyFairLady.com. (It is on sale now!) The layered V-Neck tank could have been worn alone if I had gotten too warm during the day, but that did not happen. The tank is from White House|Black Market. The pants are the Sasha Style by Lior Paris via ShopMyFairLady.com.

My accessories included small silver wide hoop earrings with tiny crystals, sunglasses by Balmain via Saks Off 5th, and a stack of silver bracelets.

The shoes are old by Bar III via Macy's.




After seeing so much damage all day, I was relieved to see that this little flower garden spot behind a store in Banner Elk had survived unscathed.




Red sky at night, sailor's delight.


I always share where I got the items shown if I can remember. The source is often ShopMyFairLady.com because they carry many of the lines I find comfortable and reflect my personal style.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Susan, is it the textured layer tank top? I dont see another V neck one....

Unknown said...

You still look great Susan. I agree that having pieces that go with other things,your capsule,makes dressing so much easier. I like having go to pieces, especially when something is last minute. Glad your area was not badly damaged. Enjoy the day!

Susan said...

This is the tank I am wearing. https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/simplicity-woven-cami/570171457?color=100&catId=&fromSearch=true&scPos=3-6400.666666666667-7880

Anonymous said...

You look lovely. I wish My Fair Lady carried more plus size clothing, as there are many items I would buy. I could only find one item today that came in my size. There is a need for this type of sophisticated clothing in larger sizes. It also looks like Covered Perfectly is phasing out their larger sizes.
Best wishes,
Lindy

wishing and hoping said...

Hello Susan.
Good to know all is well in your end of town. Summer storms are always the most intense. Thank goodness for servicemen who are at ones aid during such weather conditions.
Your weekend trip looked lovely. Such a pretty part of the world that you live in.
And equally as lovely did you look with that smart trapeze -shaped jacket. Here's to a better week of weather. Helen

Prairie Poulet said...

Nerves get frayed during summer storm season. We have had more than our share of natural disasters in the past three years, after many uneventful years. Every summer day in July brings new warnings in late afternoon. Nature can be the source of much damage, but also the source of healing. Wishes for safety to all in your area.

You look great in spite of it all.