Friday, August 12, 2016

Eat Well Be Well

I changed my eating habits five years ago for health reasons, not because I wanted to be thin. Losing more than forty-five pounds was a nice side-effect, but that was not my motivation.

Breakfast

I eat the power porridge above almost every morning, topped with whatever fresh organic fruit I have. Find the recipe here.

I have breakfast a couple of hours after I rise and lunch late in the afternoon on most days. Two small meals a day is enough. I go for a long brisk walk every day that the weather allows. I am very active all day. I rarely sit still for more than an hour without moving around. I sip water throughout the day, and I never ever drink sodas.

Late Lunch/Early Dinner

The picture above exemplifies what I have for a late lunch each day. Start with a bed of organic baby greens. Then, add steamed broccoli, peas, a little baked sweet potato, or any vegetable combination you like. I almost always add about a cup of some type of beans. (If you don't cook your own dried beans, buy the kind with no salt added and organic if you can find them. Rinse well and store extra in the fridge.) Some things need to be baked or cooked to digest them well. For example, I steam broccoli for about three minutes.

The plates I use are about the size of my outstretched hand.

I do not regularly eat bread, croutons, cheese, dressings, or oils. I might have a minimal amount once a week because I enjoy high-quality items. (Processed cheese is not something I ever eat.) I always skip the condiments, which may be high in sugar.

When fresh organic fruits and vegetables are not available in the winter months, I often use frozen organic fruits and vegetables. I especially like sauteed onion, mushrooms, and garlic cooled and added to a large green salad. (Again, you can save extra in the fridge.)

Now, on to the following picture.

Caution!

I bought this snack mix at the health food store to serve with wine to guests. Looks healthy with all those nuts, seeds, and sesame sticks, right?

Wrong!

I don't know what was added because it was bought in bulk by a particular order with no label (not from bins). For a few days, I was guilty of having a handful after each meal with a cup of hot tea as a dessert. After about a week of this bad habit, I had a headache, my joints and muscles ached, my sleep was often interrupted, my mind was very foggy, and my digestive system was wrecked. I felt as if I had been poisoned. I felt almost as bad as I did five years ago when I started this healthy eating journey. I finally realized that the mix pictured above must contain all those ingredients I cannot digest. Within two days of ridding my body of even this small amount of processed food, I am back to my healthy, happy, sleeping, thriving self.

Almost all processed foods contain high fructose corn syrup and preservatives at a minimum and many more chemicals on average. Some say to read the labels, but I avoid buying or eating anything with a brand. Instead, fresh, organic whole food is what I consume most often.

I have seen stock boys reach into bulk bins with dirty hands to steal a few nuts while working. Kids can't resist those that are at their eye level. I only buy bulk items if it is something I will wash or cook before eating.

As with my fashion choices, I keep my food choices clean and straightforward. What I share helps you discover what works best for you.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I have started eating the porridge. I make it for the whole week then add the nuts and fruit each day. I cannot believe how I don't want anything else to eat. I always craved different foods even when not hungry. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

So with you on this! Even a rare detour in food choices can feel like a disaster when you've been used to good things. Thanks again for the life inspiration❤️

Anonymous said...

Always love your nutrition updates. Eating my own power porridge as I read you blog! Hope you and Mr. M have a lovely weekend!

Anonymous said...

@RuthKnopf - I miss my power porridge, too, when we have to veer off our breakfast course!

Jen said...

I'm going to try that porridge. Thanks for this post- I like to read about people that are successful eating healthy foods. So true what you say about health food stores. I do from time to time buy my organic pumpkin seeds in bulk...I'm definitely re-thinking that one!
Have a terrific weekend
Jeannette

Kristien62 said...

Starting my own eating regimen as a result of a summer of irregular eating. I am going to try your porridge since I love healthy cereals. Will let you know how it works out.

And that sesame stick mix can be addicting. I have had the plain sesame sticks and have trouble saying no to extra helpings.

RoseAG said...

I can tell you're a Single Lady.
A "late lunch" and no supper wouldn't fly with my husband who thinks the earth will not spend if there isn't an evening meal.

Dawn said...

You must have a slow metabolism, because with the small amount you eat you should weigh less than 100 pounds.

lrlincks said...

All the fruit and veggies look very yummy and very healthy. What about protein to maintain your muscle mass? I don't see much protein. Does the "porridge" have a lot of protein?

Sharon said...

I'm not usually a "salt" person but instead more of a "sweet". From the picture of the salt mixture I would definitely say it probably had gluten in the little sticks and since I'm gluten free that would make me feel all the feelings you had after having several handfuls over a couple of days. I LOVE the way you eat and at nearly 50 I'm trying harder to incorporate more "whole" foods but my sweet tooth keeps stopping in for a visit. One can only TRY to do better right - and trying I am.

LoriM said...

I'm so impressed with your healthy eating!

But Oh dear, I've been loving a special bulk granola at Kroger - just on the week-end, for a treat. Now I'm going to think about those stock boys with their grubby hands in the bin. Maybe they don't care for granola? :-) Also I have a pretty strong immune system so I try not to worry about germs.

I would like to try the power porridge sometime, but I think I would have to mix up a multiple recipe batch of it and then take out a scant cup to make and then top with fruit - do you really do all the measuring every day? I guess I'm lazy but measuring out all those grains would drive me nuts every morning. What's your system?

Thanks again for all the great inspiration, Susan!

Divey said...

Great post, great tips. Have an awesome weekend!

Karen said...

Do you drink coffee, tea or any caffienated beverages?

Susan said...

Karen, I do drink two cups of coffee when I get up in the morning. I have hot green tea sometimes during the day. Never any caffeinated sodas.

Susan said...

There is enough protein in the lentils, beans, and broccoli to keep me very healthy. I have a piece of wild caught fish or organic chicken breast about twice a month.

Anonymous said...

Susan,
You are absolutely right with bulk food items not being our best pick for nutrition. Your reminders and observations are important for our journey for healthy living. The gravity bulk food bins are probably cleaner but those ones that you can put your hands in are not for me!!
~ Thanks for you lovely blog ~

lynneferd said...

You have been instrumental in furthering my goal towards healthy eating. I like the power porridge. I make a double batch. That helps me cut down on some prep time during the week. It certainly provides many nutrients and stays with me until lunch. I eat a big salad and then have a vegetable or fish based dinner around six. My husband is perfectly happy with this arrangement. Both of us have metabolisms that have slowed. We just don't need that much food any more. What we do eat has to be highly nutritious. Both of us feel great!

Susan said...

Question: how big is the salad you eat late in the day? Maybe diameter of bowl would help me. Thank you!

Susan said...

I eat slowly and enjoy the food. When I start to feel full, I stop eating. The bowls are about six inches across. Eating a combination of types and colors of food including nuts, seeds, grains, fruits, and vegetables helps you to feel full longer.