Thursday, September 1, 2016

A Long Sunday Drive

Early on Sunday morning, we left Dobson, North Carolina, to travel north on the Blue Ridge Parkway.


Knowing that I would be in and out of blasting air conditioning all day, I dressed for the temperature changes. I wore black crepe pants with a wrap front sleeveless top from White House|Black Market and kept my trusty white linen moto jacket close.


Our first brief stop along our journey north was at the historic Mabry Mill.
















Our next destination is one we have planned for years. (We have a long bucket list of places we want to visit and things we want to do.) On Sunday, we checked off the Chateau Morrisette Winery and Restaurant located in Floyd, Virginia. It is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, located at mile marker 171 1/2. Turn onto Black Ridge Road and then immediately turn left onto Winery Road. GPS will take you on a long roundabout way through the middle of nowhere to get there.










The shoes are old by Calvin Klein. The fabulous green bag is from UnoAllaVolta.com.

The view from the window at our table was spectacular. (Photo from the restaurant's Facebook page.) The restaurant has once again earned a place on OpenTable's Most Scenic Restaurants in America!




We shared an excellent four-course brunch in the original part of the grand old building.



Mr. Mickey was amused to see this companion piece to a stained glass lamp in his wine room.


We tasted several of their wines, and they were all excellent! 


Janean Williams is the delightful Front of the House Manager. Luke was our most excellent server.
All of the staff made us feel like regulars!


We purchased a couple of bottles of wine to enjoy later, as well as glasses with the etched emblem of the winery to remember our long-awaited first but certainly not our last visit.


We are already looking forward to our next visit to the restaurant and winery. They offer music, art, romance, mystery, seasonal festivities, refined rustic dining, and delectable wines throughout the year. 

Thanks for joining us on our little weekend getaway!

11 comments:

Ann Lee Gibson said...

Am so enjoying your travel posts. Good on y'all for making a list and checking 'em off. And that green bag is indeed hot!

Unknown said...

That gorgeous green bag is really growing on me! Love the travel adventures & fashion ideas. 😍👌

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful trip. Love the outfit. Very functional but still drop dead gorgeous and sophisticated.

Anonymous said...

You look fantastic! I am just a lurker, but I had to write something finally. I really enjoy your blog. Keep on making the most of life!

thepoutingpensioner said...

I've really enjoyed your trip away. You are so lucky to be surrounded by beautiful countryside.
Now I'm perhaps showing my naivety here - what's a wine room? I imagine it to be like a wine cellar but above ground and maybe kept at an ambient temperature by something electrical. But I may be completely off the mark.

Susan said...

You are correct. It is a room off the breakfast nook which houses his wine collection.

Elaine @ Following Augustine said...

I love the photos of the old mill!

Charlotte said...

After reading your post, I have added wine tours along the easern part of the country to my bucket list. We have toured many of the Napa Valley and California wineries, but have not been to any of the ones along the East coast. Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures. I like the gray top. Tell Mr. Mickey I had a 1961 MG A with the big grill back in the 70's. I will send him a picture. My boyfriend drove it through a car wash with the top down with one of his buddies. I think of that when you post your car show photos.

Anonymous said...

Been wanting to journey to Chateau Morrisette winery as well. Was drawn to "My Dog Blue" Riesling simply because my dog is also named Blue:) Actually bought my first bottle in Mt. Airy! My. Airy is usually where we stop if we want to spend the night when driving to the Carolina coast from Ky. Really enjoying your travels! I have a vacation home in Tenn on Lake Norris, son who lives in NC, my husband and sons are walking the AT in sections and are in the NC section, and we live in Ky so much of what you share is very familiar! Thanks, Cindy

Mizz Nashty said...

My father is from Stuart, VA so I grew up going to Mabry Mill. You should definitely plan a trip in the fall when the leaves are turning. They do mountain dancing at the mill and there are so many cute stores along the mountain to get homemade apple pies (and fresh apples). It was always a great time and now that he is gone, I miss those days. I also love Chateau Morrisette. Our Dog Blue was the first wine we tried from there. They make a wonderful ice wine as well.