Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Neutrals With A Scarf

Some days, I enjoy wearing bold colors, and on other days, I feel very subdued.


Sunday was a lazy, low-key, do-nothing kind of day, so I chose to wear neutrals.


Napping, reading, and going out for sushi were the most exciting things we did all day.


In Johnson City, our favorite place to get sushi is Ming's. It is near my house, family-owned, always fresh, and the service is excellent.


This Chico's white boatneck tee with buttons at the shoulders is probably five years old. I bought it in several solid colors and also stripes. When I find something timeless and good quality that I know I will wear often, I buy every color suitable for me.


Olive is a color I could never wear close to my face, but I wanted a casual pair of neutral pants, not denim, black or white. These are the NYDJ Marilyn Straight style, and they run very large and long. I am wearing a size two here. My seamstress is now hemming them to a thirty-one-inch inseam. 

Knowing which styles, colors, and lengths work best for your body shape makes shopping and getting dressed much more manageable.


I have always enjoyed using a scarf to pull a look together. This scarf is several years old. It is a thirty-four-inch square in a silky (probably polyester) fabric.







I folded the scarf in a triangle, folded the point over about two inches, and then repeated it until one long band.






I tied the very ends together in a small knot and then wrapped it around twice to create an infinity scarf.


Put the scarf around your neck at the step above, and then wrap it over your head again and arrange it loosely at your neckline, keeping the little tie inside and at the back.


This is a favorite way to wear a scarf in warm weather because it adds detail and color without making you feel hot.

14 comments:

KnoxMomi said...

Oh my gosh! Thanks so much for the scarf tip with visual step-by-step snapshots which is sooooo helpful! I'll have to try that now :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for actually show the steps for tying a scarf. I agree it is very helpful. I just bought some long narrow scarfs at a flea market this weekend. Now I just have to figure out how to wear them. LOL

Laura W in NC said...

My favorite kind of day & nice look! Was there a learning curve on the sushi? Pretty golf scarf square. .didn't know you were a golfer! Best wishes! L

Unknown said...

Great ideas as always and I too love the step by step visuals. 👌😍

Susan said...

I have been eating sushi for many years, Laura. I only order the ones that are fully cooked. :) I am not a golfer at all but I liked the scarf colors and pattern.

Ann C. said...

Yes, loved the scarf tip!! I don't seem to have the knack of tying a scarf, in spite of viewing numerous videos. But, I like the look of scarves, and your instructions seem very easy to follow. Thanks!

Donna said...

I like this scarf styling...have to add it to my repertoire. My son-in-law informed me that there are two different terms for cooked and uncooked dishes. I'm in the full cooked camp. Love olive or caper, as some call it, as a neutral.

Laura W in NC said...

I learn the neatest things from your blog..including that there is a cooked sushi! Thx a bunch! L

Unknown said...

Susan, if you had to choose between an animal print scarf or a houndstooth scarf, which would you choose?

Susan said...

It depends on which scarf colors look best with your complexion. I would go for a black and white houndstooth over a gold/brown/black animal print for example.

Unknown said...

I really like this look for you: it's sexy and youthful. With your fair skin and blonde hair, light neutrals are quite chic. The scarf is just the right touch.

dmp said...

Hi Susan -

You look beautiful as ever. Your coloring is the same as mine, and I am once again in search of a great lip color; one for day and one for evening. You got me looking at bright red shades, but the color you were wearing is no longer available (it was a YSL limited edition, I think). Anyway, can you tell me what you are wearing these days? Thanks!

Susan said...

I wear several colors of red lipstick. Sometimes I start with a deep red, blot it and add a softer red over that. Kat von D has a great true matte-red which I use as a base sometimes. http://www.katvondbeauty.com/lip/lipstick/studded-kiss-lipstick/40003.html?dwvar_40003_color=4056#start=3

Elaine @ Following Augustine said...

Thanks so much for the step-by-step instructions on how you tied your scarf! I'm going to try that with a couple of large square scarves that I was given.