Saturday, September 3, 2016

Scarf Tricks

It is my 60th birthday month!


There will be celebratory dinners, spa visits, lunch with friends, and weekend getaways. Last evening we enjoyed a special dinner with our dearest friends.


It was a real challenge to take photos in front of the bank near my house due to the whipping winds. We try to take photos before I get all rumpled from sitting in the car; that's why our backgrounds are often the same.


A few subtle changes in my style will come about in the next season of my life. Scarves will be added to my look a lot more often. Wearing a scarf in colors that flatter your complexion is an easy way to add color and pattern without wearing a print over your whole body.


Black, white, and denim are my neutrals and the largest blocks of color in my wardrobe. None of these colors are especially flattering close to my face. The good thing about my base of neutrals is that I can pull in small doses of the colors that are more flattering. 

The basis of great style is taking suggestions from trends or outfit ideas and making them work for your shape and lifestyle.


I have been collecting colorful scarves and tanks for years. Wearing a tank (over the correct *bra) with a color-coordinated beautiful silk scarf tied simply near my face can make almost any combination of base pieces work together.

*The bras that work best for me are the Ultimate Shapeez Bra for long-line smoothing.



When all else fails, go across the street inside the Post Office to take a closeup without the wind whipping your hair all over your face.


The shot above includes the portrait area. Keeping the scarf in this area avoids adding more bulk to my bust.

If I am wearing a larger scarf with more texture for warmth, I will tie or wrap it so that it hangs in smooth straight lines rather than adding more fluff where I am already "fluffy." 

Subtle makeup, a simple hairstyle, not too much jewelry, a soft, supple silk scarf in vibrant jewel tones, and less stress are all elements that I plan to enjoy in the coming years.

The long duster cardigan is from White House|Black Market. The tank and the pants are old from Chico's. The shoes are old by Sam Edelman. The earrings are old by Brighton. The ring is a long-ago gift from Mr. Mickey.

My scarf tying techniques are always simple and easy. This one is a long rectangle shape, so I wrapped it around my neck twice and tied the ends loosely.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Of all the colors you wear, I think Aqua / Turquoise flatter you coloring the most. That color makes your eye color show up beautifully! Very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Looking lovely! Nice artisan scarf..how do you store your scarves? Mine tend to get very unruly! Wind whipping here in eastern NC as well..but nice change from the heat.Wishing you a very happy upcoming birthday! I will be 63 on my next. Best wishes! Laura in NC

Susan said...

Hi Laura! I store my scarves on those felted hangers to be able to see them and keep them neat.

Unknown said...

Susan, the blue is a beautiful color on you. I like the tip so having the scarves around the portrait area so that you don't add more bulk at the bust. That's my problem.

Kristien62 said...

Have a wonderful birthday month! The colors in your scarf are perfect for you and highlight your lovely hair and eyes. I have many scarves and, in fact, am weeding them out as I transition to warmer colors. Just as a point of information for your reader, my scarves are folded, packet-style, in a drawer with dividers. I stand them on end and can pack quite a few into a row. It actually looks quite nice.













Kristine said...

LOVE this look! Happy Birthday Month!

Catia from Leuli said...

Happy Birthday Month - as always you look gorgeous. Your style has already evolved during the past months, this look definitively looks very European or French if you prefer. Very polished and classy. thank you for sharing. Catia

Rebecca said...

Looking great, Susan! As one who has already been well past this momentous birthday, I love to see how you are embracing this new decade with well thought out ways to flatter and enhance the changes this new age may bring. I love your optimism and spirit!!

Anonymous said...

Very polished and classy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Susan, have seen those & will be picking some up! Laura

belles53 said...

You look lovely as always. Happy Birthday Month!🎂

Joanne B. said...

You make 60 look wonderful! Thanks or all the inspiration you share! The other day I headed out to the mall with just jeans and a tee shirt on. Before I left the house I grabbed a scarf and wrapped it down low sort of as a necklace. I felt so glamorous! I would have NEVER worn a scarf as an accessory;only for warmth in the 'winter'. Your blog has made me feel much more risky! Living in south Florida, 'winter' is not really winter at all and I may have looked a little silly with a scarf in 80 degree weather, but I felt absolutely amazing with that color and pattern on me! It took jeans and a tee to a new level! I KNOW for sure I had a spring in my step because I felt so 'snappy'! Now if I could just make friends with heels like you do! I think THAT is your secret weapon for looking so pulled together all the time! It's all your killer heels! The ks for sharing ll your fashion tips!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan - love your blog so much. Look fwd to it every day. Learn so much from you - I have the same body shape as you - so the visuals are very valuable to helping me figure out what works for me also. I want to say that these styles fit you very well and you look fab. However, IMHO, the clothing line you feature on your website and have modeled recently do not look as good on you. They might just be too big for you - a little shapeless maybe. But I love all the other brands you wear.

Donna said...

Happy Birthday Month! I'm sure Mr Mickey will attend to every detail of the celebrations. Good tips on styling scarves for those of us with a fuller bust. The scarf you are wearing is lovely...good colors on you.

Unknown said...

Great ideas! I love black but it isn't great next to my face any longer so I'm going to take some scarf cues from you! Happy birthday month!

Prairie Poulet said...

Lovely look with a gorgeous turquoise to match your eyes. Duster-length cardis are great for us triangle shapes, too, with scarves exactly where you don't wear them.

Have a great birthday month!

Susan said...

Me Happi, thank you for your comment. The line of clothing I show on my site is created for ladies who want clothing to use as a base. The lady who wants something to just skim the body without seeing every dimple and roll (we all have them at this age). They are made from a forgiving comfortable material and they are very basic and timeless. You can wear the pieces with just about anything. Those are the reasons I started offering these pieces. They are very difficult to find in stores and some ladies really want that type of garment.

Cheryl Tucker said...

Happy Birthday month! I hope you enjoy every day! You look fabulous. I am just crazy about dusters and the scarf around the neck that way! I have to find more smaller square scarves because I have so many ideas for them.

Also, this morning I had thousands of views on my blog in just a few hours. I didn't know what had happened but it was way out of the ordinary. Just a little bit ago a reader told me she had found me through your facebook. I don't have facebook, but thank you so much for whatever you did! I have followed your blog for years, it was one of the first blogs I fell in love with probably at least four years ago. You have been a major inspiration and influence. Thank you so much! Peace! Cheryl

Elaine @ Following Augustine said...

Happy upcoming Birthday, Susan! I love the backgrounds in your photos. I would never have thought of taking photos inside the post office, but why not? After reading this post, I'm going to take another look at my collection of tanks and scarves. Perhaps there are some combinations there that I haven't tried before!

Lorena said...

The happiest of birthdays to you !
I never thought of it but yes, scarves can add color and life to outfits thus avoiding the all over print.
Lovely look and beautiful accessorising.

LoriM said...

That portrait view is gorgeous.

It's my birthday month too! I say spread out the celebrations as long as possible... :-)

Anonymous said...

You are wearing your hair in a much smoother style. I like it very much